Join our generation.
Associate Director/Director, Intellectual Property
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Generation Bio is a biotechnology company creating a new pillar of medicine for a new generation. With our proprietary ceDNA technology, we are developing genetic medicine with drug-like properties: titrated to optimal levels, redosed throughout a lifetime, scaled to reach around the world. Our mission is to make the ravages of genetic disease feel as imaginary to the next generation as polio feels to children today.
We are a thriving, collaborative, creative community of diverse talents, beliefs, and experiences relentlessly dedicated to our mission. Founded and launched by Atlas Venture. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Committed to a future where more people can live full lives.
Generation Bio seeks an experienced and creative patent attorney to help develop Generation Bio’s intellectual property strategy for its innovative ceDNA platform and growing pipeline. The successful candidate will possess significant experience in the protection and defense of biological assets over the course of therapeutic development. This position reports to the VP, Head of Legal Affairs.
- Develops comprehensive intellectual property strategy for the company including patents, trademarks, copyright and trade secrets, in collaboration with business and scientific leadership. Provides client counseling on IP issues.
- Works with company researchers to build strong patent portfolios around company assets to ensure long-term competitive advantage. Identifies, evaluates, and files on new inventions, conducts prior art searches, manages new and existing patent portfolios, supervises and directs outside counsel, and identifies and monitors trade secrets.
- Performs diligence and gives legal opinions with respect to patentability, validity, and freedom to operate, and ensures that company management is appropriately informed.
- Responds to and resolves administrative challenges instituted by third parties, including oppositions and inter partes reviews, and monitors competitor intellectual property positions.
- Supports IP-related transactional work, including business development opportunities and other key agreements.
- Reviews IP aspects of technical manuscripts, posters, presentations, and other materials intended for publication.
- Advanced degree in genetics, molecular biology, virology, or related field, Ph.D. preferred
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- J.D. and bar admission in good standing in at least one state
- Minimum of 8 years of experience (Associate Director: 6 years) in a law firm and/or in-house pharmaceutical or biotechnology company environment practicing patent law, including management of complex global IP portfolios for therapeutic molecules.
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and collaboration skills with high detail orientation
- Client service focus and ability to adapt and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
POSITION: Full-Time, Exempt
EEOC Statement: Generation Bio believes in a diverse environment and is committed to equal employment opportunity for all its employees and qualified applicants. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Generation Bio will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.