Join our generation.
Assistant Corporate Controller
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Generation Bio is a biotechnology company creating a new pillar of medicine for a new generation. With our proprietary ceDNA technology, we are developing genetic medicine with drug-like properties: titrated to optimal levels, redosed throughout a lifetime, scaled to reach around the world. Our mission is to make the ravages of genetic disease feel as imaginary to the next generation as polio feels to children today.
We are a thriving, collaborative, creative community of diverse talents, beliefs, and experiences relentlessly dedicated to our mission. Founded and launched by Atlas Venture. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Committed to a future where more people can live full lives.
This role offers an exciting opportunity to join a fast-paced, talented and growing organization as the Assistant Corporate Controller. This leader will report directly to the Corporate Controller and partner directly with the finance team, and cross-functional colleagues. This role is a “hands-on” position with direct responsibility for Generation Bio’s daily accounting and payroll operations, month and quarter-end closing as well as leading the implementation of projects and systems upgrades.
- Hands-on responsibility for day-to-day accounting operations (including accounts payable, payroll, and month-end closing including general ledger reconciliations)
- Ensure that company financial records are maintained in compliance with company policies and US GAAP
- Review monthly/quarterly account reconciliations, journal entries, and other documents to ensure compliance with US GAAP
- Process payroll (semi-monthly) and W-2 reporting requirements
- Research areas of complex accounting and compliance matters
- Assist the Finance team with the assessment of technical accounting matters through preparation of accounting memos
- Interact with external auditors to ensure the quarterly review and audit activities are executed in a timely manner.
- Establish operational objectives and work plans, and delegate assignments to team members / supporting employees. Provide guidance and support to team members / employees.
- Provide support to other teams across the company as needs arise, including special projects, system improvements or ad-hoc financial and quantitative analyses.
- Minimum 5 years relevant Accounting experience
- Proven leadership and interpersonal skills – the ability to collaborate well with others and work cross-functionally across the organization. Ability to work well in teams and to build organizational relationships.
- Experience and ability to research technical accounting matters and assist the Finance team with the assessment of technical accounting matters.
- Exceptional analytic abilities and business acumen
- Strong internal control and compliance skills (sox, internal controls)
- Strong verbal and oral communication skills with ability to communicate with both finance and non-finance audiences
- The ideal candidate will have an appetite for continuous learning and innate curiosity along with desire to work in a fast-paced improve on the status quo
- Excellent skills with MS Excel and MS PowerPoint are required. Additional skills with Oracle Fusion, ADP are a plus.
Preferred Experience, Special Skills, Knowledge:
- BS/BA or University degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA required
- Public company experience preferred
- Biotech industry experience is a plus
POSITION: Full-Time, Exempt
EEOC Statement: Generation Bio believes in a diverse environment and is committed to equal employment opportunity for all its employees and qualified applicants. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Generation Bio will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.