Join our generation.
Sr. Manager/Associate Director, Animal Care Facility
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Generation Bio is a biotechnology company creating a new pillar of medicine for a new generation. With our proprietary ceDNA technology, we are developing genetic medicine with drug-like properties: titrated to optimal levels, redosed throughout a lifetime, scaled to reach around the world. Our mission is to make the ravages of genetic disease feel as imaginary to the next generation as polio feels to children today.
We are a thriving, collaborative, creative community of diverse talents, beliefs, and experiences relentlessly dedicated to our mission. Founded and launched by Atlas Venture. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Committed to a future where more people can live full lives.
Generation Bio seeks an energetic, versatile, and highly motivated Sr. Manager/Assoc Director of the animal care facility (ACF) to join our Preclinical Research group. For this position, the successful candidate will oversee the build out of the Generation Bio ACF, hire/manage support staff, and perform study activities as needed to enable execution of in vivo studies to advance both our gene therapy platform and our pipeline of development candidates.
- Oversee the build out of a new ACF in close collaboration with Facilities
- Create and build ACF program, obtain all appropriate permitting and establish IACUC
- Manage/coordinate IACUC in collaboration with IACUC chair, including screening of protocols, overseeing correspondence related to committee reviews, drafting institutional policies, and other related IACUC responsibilities
- Interface with City of Cambridge Lab Animal Commissioner regarding annual inspections and Generation Bio Animal Program
- Partner with EH&S Department to ensure general lab safety and compliance with all local, state and federal regulations
- Hire/manage animal facility staff including overseeing daily operations and scheduling
- Work closely with vendors to purchase equipment and coordinate animal purchases, imports/exports, and space and resource allocation
- Interface with consulting veterinarian and provide oversight for the quarantine and animal health monitoring program
- Develop, write, and maintain animal care and technical Standard Operating Procedures
- Provide oversight and schedule daily study technical work and implement post-approval compliance monitoring program to ensure adherence to animal protocols
- Provide animal husbandry, handling and restraint, injection, sample collection, euthanasia and anesthesia training and support to animal users
- Collaborate closely with ACF users within pre-clinical group to enable in vivo studies. Assist with performing studies as needed
- Develop new in house procedures to enable evaluation of novel drug candidates (e.g. dose procedure, sample collection, instrumentation, etc.)
- Interface with scientific groups to develop short and long term strategic plans for the vivarium, including staffing, equipment and space analysis as projects grow and develop
- Responsible for acquisition, inventory, maintenance and repair of facility equipment and interfacing with Facilities Management for such repairs
- Bachelor’s degree in the animal/life sciences with at least 7+ years of relevant animal care experience
- Experience building, mentoring, and managing a team performing studies to support various disease indications preferred
- LATG certification preferred; Certification by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) at the Certified Manager Animal Resources (CMAR) level a plus
- Prior experience with the build out of a new ACF or remodeling of an existing ACF a plus
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and other Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to make appropriate, sustainable decisions regarding daily facility operations and to address unique situations that arise within the animal research facilities
POSITION: Full-Time, Exempt
EEOC Statement: Generation Bio believes in a diverse environment and is committed to equal employment opportunity for all its employees and qualified applicants. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Generation Bio will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.