Join our generation.
Contract Associate Scientist InVivo Care and Resources
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Generation Bio is a biotechnology company leading a new generation of gene therapy. With our proprietary re-dosable ceDNA technology, we are expanding the reach of gene therapy. At Generation Bio, our goal is to bring the life-saving benefits of gene therapy to more people, living with a broader range of diseases, in more places around the world. Our vision is to make the ravages of genetic disease as imaginary to the next generation as polio feels to children today.
We are a thriving, collaborative, creative community of diverse talents, beliefs, and experiences relentlessly dedicated to our mission. Founded and launched by Atlas Venture. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Committed to a future where more people can live full lives.
Generation Bio seeks an energetic, dedicated and highly motivated team player to provide basic husbandry care for rats and mice within a modified barrier vivarium. Duties may also include assisting investigators with studies by performing basic injections (IP, SC, IV, PO), body weight measurements, blood collection and general necropsy. Candidate must have a strong work ethic and possess excellent organizational skills.
This role will contribute significantly to the research activities at Generation Bio. Weekend and holiday work will be required.
- Perform daily husbandry of rats and mice under modified barrier conditions and document accordingly
- Monitor and document animal facility conditions including temperature and humidity daily
- Perform twice daily health monitoring of animals, document and report abnormal conditions to the supervisor
- Perform daily, weekly, monthly census of animals
- Operate cage washer and autoclave equipment
- Perform general upkeep and cleaning of facility including daily sweeping and mopping and quarterly cleaning
- Receive incoming food and bedding orders and other materials for the animal facility
- Receive and house incoming animals
- Euthanize animals as required
- Assist investigators with in-vivo studies
- Adhere to appropriate safety and bio containment procedures
- Ability to work overtime hours on a rotating schedule which may include nights, weekends and holidays
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma with 1-3 years of experience in general lab animal husbandry or relevant experience. B.S. is a plus.
- No known lab animal allergies
- Ability to lift, push, pull up to 50lbs
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills. Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and work ethic
- Possessing or having the ability and desire to learn basic in-vivo techniques in rats and mice
- Ability to work well in a multi-functional team based environment and interact with individuals of various backgrounds and levels within the company
- Able to work, nights, weekends and holidays
- AALAS ALAT certification is a plus
POSITION: Contract, Non-Exempt
EEOC Statement: Generation Bio believes in a diverse environment and is committed to equal employment opportunity for all its employees and qualified applicants. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Generation Bio will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.