Join our generation.
Sr. Associate Scientist, InVivo Care and Resources
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Generation Bio is a biotechnology company leading a new generation of gene therapy. With our proprietary re-dosable ceDNA technology, we are expanding the reach of gene therapy. At Generation Bio, our goal is to bring the life-saving benefits of gene therapy to more people, living with a broader range of diseases, in more places around the world. Our vision is to make the ravages of genetic disease as imaginary to the next generation as polio feels to children today.
We are a thriving, collaborative, creative community of diverse talents, beliefs, and experiences relentlessly dedicated to our mission. Founded and launched by Atlas Venture. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Committed to a future where more people can live full lives.
Generation Bio seeks an energetic, dedicated and highly motivated team player to provide advanced support services and care for rats and mice (both transgenic and immunodeficient) and to perform dosing and sample collection for multiple types of in vivo studies. within a modified barrier vivarium. The individual hired will work closely with investigators to perform the in vivo studies and will also have responsibility for basic husbandry, facility upkeep and maintenance. This role will contribute significantly to the research activities at Generation Bio. Weekend and holiday work will be required.
- Execute in-vivo studies in rats and mice according to in-house IACUC protocols and interface with scientists regarding data collection, results and analysis
- Perform basic injections (IP, SC, IV, PO), as well as more advanced techniques including intravitreal injections, subretinal injections and hydrodynamic IV injections in mice and rats
- Perform anesthesia and analgesia of mice and rats and body weight measurements, blood collection, full body perfusions and general necropsy
- Perform in-vivo imaging using the IVIS Lumina imager
- Perform daily husbandry of rats and mice under modified barrier conditions and document accordingly
- Monitor and document animal facility conditions including temperature and humidity daily
- Perform twice daily health monitoring of animals, document and report abnormal conditions to the supervisor
- Perform daily, weekly, monthly census of animals
- Operate glass washer and autoclave equipment
- Perform general upkeep and cleaning of facility
- Receive and house incoming animals
- Stock and receive incoming supplies for the animal facility
- Euthanize animals as required
- Adhere to appropriate safety and bio containment procedures
- Assist in training of new personnel for both basic husbandry and in-vivo techniques
- Assist Associate Director with implementation of animal health monitoring program and with controlled substances documentation program
- Ability to work overtime hours on a rotating schedule which may include nights, weekends and holidays
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelors Degree in a life sciences discipline or related experience
- At least 5 years of experience working with rats and mice and conducting in-vivo studies. Surgical experience and experience performing intravitreal and subretinal injections in mice and rats is a plus
- No known lab animal allergies
- Ability to lift, push, pull up to 50lbs
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills. Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and a strong work ethic
- Ability to work well in a multi-functional team based environment and interact with individuals of various backgrounds and levels within the company
- Able to work weekends and holidays
- AALAS Certification at the LAT or LATg level is a plus
POSITION: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
EEOC Statement: Generation Bio believes in a diverse environment and is committed to equal employment opportunity for all its employees and qualified applicants. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Generation Bio will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.